Thursday, 17 September 2026

Boys We Used to Be

 

I still remember the exact moment the world rewrote itself around us.

We were just two brothers horsing around in the attic of our childhood home, laughing over a dusty spellbook we’d found buried under old yearbooks and forgotten board games. I was the older one—always the one who pushed the boundaries—so of course I was the one who flipped to a random page and read the words out loud. Beatrice (though she wasn’t Beatrice yet) leaned over my shoulder, teasing me the whole time.

The second the last syllable left my mouth, everything changed.

Heat flooded my body. My clothes tightened, then simply… shifted. Curves bloomed where none had been. My voice climbed an octave. My face softened in the mirror we both scrambled to look into. And when I looked at my little brother, he was gone. In his place stood a girl with long brown hair and the same startled expression I was wearing.

But the strangest part wasn’t the transformation. It was the way the rest of the world simply accepted it.

Our parents had always had two daughters. The family photos on the walls showed us in dresses we’d never worn. Friends remembered sleepovers and shopping trips that never happened. Every memory, every document, every casual conversation bent around the new truth: we had always been Bethany and Beatrice.

Only we remembered the boys we used to be.

That first week was pure chaos between the two of us. We locked ourselves in my bedroom for hours at a time, stripping down in front of the full-length mirror, staring at the soft new bodies that didn’t feel like ours. My chest was full and heavy, sensitive in ways that made me jump every time fabric brushed against it. Between my legs was something entirely foreign—warm, slick, reactive. Beatrice’s changes were just as complete. She kept touching her own hips like she couldn’t believe the flare of them. We whispered about the old names, the old lives, the way our voices had once been deeper. Then we’d go downstairs and our mom would call us “my girls” without a single flicker of confusion, and the weight of the spell would settle over us all over again.

We had to learn everything from scratch. How to walk in the new centers of gravity. How to choose clothes that didn’t make us feel like we were playing dress-up. How to handle the way men looked at us now—lingering, assessing, sometimes hungry. The first time a guy held a door open for me and his eyes dropped to my chest, I felt a strange mix of power and vulnerability I’d never known as a man. Beatrice and I talked about it constantly in the beginning. We were the only two people on earth who knew the truth, and that shared secret bound us tighter than anything else ever had.

Dating came slowly at first. We both tried to pretend we could just keep living as we always had, but the bodies we now wore had their own demands. Attraction felt different. The pull toward men was sudden and physical in a way that still startled me months later. I downloaded the apps almost on a dare from Beatrice one night after too much wine. “We’re women now,” she’d said, curled up on my couch in an oversized sweater that still somehow looked feminine on her. “Might as well see what it’s like.”

I matched with Daniel three weeks later.

He was thirty-two, a structural engineer with dark hair, steady hands, and a smile that made something low in my stomach tighten the first time I saw his profile picture. We messaged for days—nothing heavy, just easy conversation about work and favorite restaurants and the ridiculous reality shows we both secretly liked. When he finally asked me out, I said yes before I could overthink it.

Our first date was supposed to be simple. Dinner at a quiet Italian place downtown, the kind with low lighting and cloth napkins. I wore a soft blue dress that hugged the new shape of my waist and flared at the hips. The moment I walked in and saw him standing near the host stand, something shifted. He looked at me like I was the only person in the room. We talked through the first course, laughed through the second. By the time dessert arrived, his knee was brushing mine under the table and my pulse was doing things it had never done on dates when I was still a man.

He drove me home afterward. The car was quiet except for the low music and the sound of the city sliding past the windows. When he parked in front of my building, he didn’t immediately reach for the door. Instead he turned toward me, one hand resting on the back of my seat.

“I had a really good time,” he said.

I didn’t plan what happened next. I just leaned in and kissed him.

The kiss started soft and turned hungry almost immediately. His hand slid into my hair. Mine fisted in the front of his shirt. When we finally broke apart, both breathing harder, he asked if I wanted him to walk me up. I said yes.

Inside my apartment the air felt charged. We barely made it past the entryway before we were kissing again, deeper this time. His hands found my waist, then slid higher, cupping the full weight of my breasts through the dress. I made a sound I didn’t recognize as my own. When his fingers brushed the zipper at my back, I didn’t stop him. The dress slipped down my arms and pooled at my feet. I stood there in a simple lace bra and matching panties, heart hammering, while he looked at me like he’d never seen anything better.

We moved to the bedroom in a tangle of hands and mouths. He laid me down on the bed and peeled the rest of my clothes away slowly, kissing every new inch of skin he uncovered. When his mouth closed over one nipple I arched off the mattress with a sharp moan. Everything felt too sensitive, too intense. His fingers slid between my legs and found me already wet. He stroked carefully at first, then deeper, watching my face the whole time.

“You’re so responsive,” he murmured against my collarbone.

I couldn’t form words. All I could do was rock against his hand and make soft, needy sounds I’d never made before.

When he finally pushed inside me, the stretch was overwhelming. I gasped, fingers digging into his shoulders. He held still until I nodded, then began to move—slow, deep thrusts that made my breath catch every time. The friction built fast. I wrapped my legs around his waist and met him thrust for thrust, moaning louder with every stroke. He pinned my wrists above my head with one hand and used the other to keep my hips angled just right. The new angle made everything sharper. I came hard, crying out, walls clenching around him while he kept thrusting through it.

He flipped me over after that, guiding me onto all fours. The position felt exposed and incredibly intimate at the same time. He entered me again from behind, hands gripping my hips, and the new depth dragged another long moan out of me. His thrusts turned harder, more urgent. The sound of skin meeting skin filled the room. I pushed back to meet him, chasing the building pressure. When I came the second time it was with a broken scream into the pillow, body shaking. He followed soon after, burying himself deep and holding me tight while he finished.

We stayed tangled together afterward, sweaty and quiet. He brushed hair away from my face and kissed my forehead.

“That was… unexpected,” he said softly.

I laughed, still a little dazed. “Yeah. It was.”

I didn’t think about protection until the next morning. By then it was too late.

The pregnancy test turned positive three weeks later.

I sat on the bathroom floor staring at the two pink lines, heart pounding so hard I could feel it in my throat. Beatrice was the first person I told. She came over within the hour, sat beside me on the couch, and held my hand while I cried—not entirely from fear, but from the sheer surreal weight of it. A year ago I’d been a man. Now I was a woman carrying a child after a single night with a man I barely knew.

Daniel took the news better than I expected. He came over the same night I told him, sat across from me at my kitchen table, and listened without interrupting. When I finished he reached across and took my hand.

“I’m not going anywhere,” he said. “We’ll figure this out together.”

We didn’t become an official couple right away. We dated carefully, learning each other while my body changed. The morning sickness was brutal for the first trimester. I spent weeks barely able to keep anything down. Beatrice brought me crackers and ginger tea almost every day. Daniel started staying over more often, rubbing my back when the nausea hit and making sure I ate something small every few hours.

By the time I was four months along, the baby bump was impossible to hide. Soft at first, then rounder, more pronounced. I started wearing looser clothes, then maternity dresses that actually fit the new shape. Daniel loved it. He’d rest his hand on the curve of my stomach whenever we were alone, feeling for the tiny flutters that eventually became strong kicks. The first time the baby really moved under his palm he looked up at me with an expression so full of wonder it made my chest ache.

Sex changed as the pregnancy progressed. Everything was more sensitive. My breasts grew heavier, the nipples darker and almost painfully reactive. When he touched me I was wet almost instantly. We learned new positions that kept pressure off my growing belly. Sometimes I rode him slowly, hands braced on his chest, rolling my hips while he held the underside of my baby bump and watched my face. Other nights he pinned me carefully on my side or took me from behind while I stayed on all fours, supporting myself on my elbows so the weight of the pregnancy stayed comfortable. The orgasms were deeper, longer, sometimes rolling into each other until I was shaking and moaning his name without any control left.

At six months the bump was unmistakable—a firm, rounded swell that stretched every shirt I owned. That was the night Daniel asked me to be his girlfriend officially. We were in bed, my back against his chest, his hand splayed protectively over the place where our daughter was growing. He kissed the side of my neck and said, very quietly, “I love you. I love both of you. I want this to be real. Not just us figuring things out. I want you to be mine.”

I turned in his arms as much as the baby bump would allow and kissed him. “I already am.”

We told our families the next weekend. My parents cried happy tears. Beatrice hugged me so hard I had to remind her about the baby. Daniel’s parents welcomed me with open arms and immediately started talking about nurseries and baby names.

The last month before the shower passed in a blur of doctor appointments, nesting, and late-night conversations with Beatrice. She had met her own boyfriend around the same time Daniel and I got serious. Their relationship moved fast too—though without the surprise pregnancy. When he proposed two months ago she said yes without hesitation. Watching her try on engagement rings and talk about wedding venues felt surreal in the best way. The little brother who used to steal my comic books was now my younger sister planning a future with a man who looked at her like she hung the moon.

Tonight the baby shower is in full swing. Pale pink ribbons are tied along the mantel of the fireplace. Guests fill the living room, cooing over the gift table and the soft decorations. I’m wearing the off-shoulder pink dress that clings to every curve of my seven-month baby bump. The fabric is soft and stretchy, chosen specifically because it makes the swell of my stomach look intentional and beautiful instead of awkward. Beatrice stands beside me in a lighter dress that almost looks white in the warm light. Her engagement ring flashes every time she lifts her hand.

We pose for photos in front of the fireplace. I rest one hand on the high curve of my belly. Beatrice leans in, her arm around my waist, the other hand covering mine over the place where my daughter kicks against our palms. We smile for the camera like the picture-perfect sisters everyone believes we are.

No one else in this room knows that a year ago we were two guys who made a stupid mistake with a spellbook.

No one else knows that sometimes, late at night, we still talk about it in whispers—about the lives we lost, the bodies we never asked for, the strange new hungers and instincts that came with them. About how dating men felt both wrong and right at the same time. About how falling in love with them felt even stranger. About the night I got pregnant on a first date that was never supposed to go that far, the way Daniel’s thrusting had pulled moans and then screams out of me while he pinned me and took me on all fours, the way riding him later in the pregnancy felt like claiming something that had once been completely foreign.

But standing here, belly full of a daughter I’ll raise as the woman I am now, with my little sister—my sister—engaged and radiant beside me, Daniel somewhere in the crowd watching me with quiet pride… I can’t say I’d reverse the spell even if I could.

The old us are gone. Reality made sure of that.

And somehow, against every odd, Bethany and Beatrice are happy.

The rest of the evening blurs in the best way. Guests keep coming up to rest gentle hands on my baby bump and tell me how glowing I look. Beatrice stays close, refilling my water, making sure I sit when my ankles start to protest. At one point Daniel slips an arm around me from behind, palms spreading over the firm curve of my stomach, and presses a kiss to the side of my neck. The baby kicks hard in response, like she already knows the sound of her father’s voice.

Later, after most of the guests have gone and the living room is quiet again, Beatrice and I sit together on the couch. My feet are in her lap. Her engagement ring catches the light every time she flexes her fingers.

“Do you ever miss it?” she asks softly. “Being… before?”

I rest both hands on the high, tight swell of my belly and feel our daughter shift under the skin. “Sometimes. In flashes. But then I feel this—” I press gently where a tiny foot pushes back “—and I look at you, and I look at him, and I realize I don’t actually want to go back. Not really.”

Beatrice smiles, small and private. “Yeah. Me neither.”

We sit like that for a long time, two sisters who used to be brothers, living inside a reality that rewrote itself around a single careless spell. Outside, the night is quiet. Inside, my daughter kicks again, strong and insistent, and I know with complete certainty that whatever we lost a year ago, what we found was somehow exactly what we were meant to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Venus Clinic

 Story 1 - Camilla (Michael) I still can’t quite believe this is my first official date with Daniel. The evening light is soft and gold acro...